New to XC skiing? Check out this video from Salomon for a quick comparison of the 2 major styles of XC skiing; Classic vs. Skate skiing. Very important as different equipment is required for each style.
Membership and Programming Registration is opening Oct 27th, 2022.
To adapt to Nova Scotia’s challenging winters, SCOTIA XC has implemented snowmaking on Brunello’s range, which may allow more on-snow sessions. However, we have had our best success for students when flexibility is an option. In the past, instructors have offered make-up sessions on different nights of the week or at different locations. Our instructors are very committed to getting you on your skis when Mother Nature permits.
Skate Skiing Technique:
- All adult programming will begin the week of Sunday Jan 8th, 2023. Coaches will be on standby for the 8 week window starting that week to provide options for lessons when weather/snow conditions permit.
- Aiming for 5 lessons. 1st week only will be off-snow if needed.
- Cost: $75 plus membership
Beginner Skate Skiing: Coaches John, Frankie and Kat- FULL
- Tuesday evenings
- 18 student limit
- Description: This course is aimed at skiers who are new or have minimal experience in skate skiing. In this course, we will introduce the basics of skate skiing technique culminating in an introduction to one-skate, the most common technique used in skate skiing. You should sign up for this course only if you are already comfortable on skis and want to learn the fundamentals of skate skiing. Limited equipment may be available on a first come first serve basis from Brunello Golf and Country Club.
Intermediate Skate Skiing: Coaches Derek and Hannah
- Thursday Evenings
- 15 student limit
- Description: This course is aimed at skiers who are already comfortable with skate skiing and are comfortable with the one-skate technique. This course is designed to introduce the various techniques used in skate skiing over the course of 5 sessions. By the end of this course you will be familiar with the all three primary technique of skate skiing (one-skate, two-skate and offset) which will allow you to pick the most efficient technique in all terrain!
Classic Cross Country Ski Technique
SCOTIA XC is also pleased to partner with independent instructor, Kat Kitching, to offer exclusive access to classic programming for our members only. The club is not responsible for any activities related to private lessons. Payment arrangements are made directly with the coach.
Registration for this program will include pre-paying for one pre-snow preparation session and two ski lesson ($50). If you need to borrow ski equipment from the instructor, there is an additional $15 fee.
Registrants will also get priority to participate in future drop-in ski lessons on a pay-as-you-go basis ($15/lesson or $20 with gear).
Pricing can vary slightly based on location, will be clarified by instructor.
All sessions will be posted weekly and you can choose which one works for you.
Options may vary week-to-week and exact time will be co-ordinated to accommodate the participants but will draw from the following options:
- Monday Evening
- Tuesday Evening
- Saturday Afternoon
- Sunday Morning
Classic lessons are mostly full but there may be space, please contact the instructor directly, at firstname.lastname@example.org, to indicate your interest and see if she can fit you in.
Refund Policy: full refund if requested before second lesson.
Individual Lessons More Your Style? Book a private lesson with an instructor.